ServoSkull

To go along with my 40k Costumes, I thought it would be cool to have a servoskull.

  • This was a project I originally started in October 2006. I happened across some baseball-sized foam skulls and thought I would grab a few to make servoskulls with. The lower jaw was cut away along the existing jawline and I started building. My first attempt didn't really make me happy. I wanted to use LEDs on it, but the placement of the powersupply was tricky. I used an LED holder in the left eyesocket for the bionic eye effect. I built a box from plasticard, and mounted a microswitch into it. The power supply dilemma was solve by simply using a 9V battery mounted sidewase behind the teeth with a plasticard box around it. With the major stuff out of the way, I could get moving.

  • I cannibalized an LED flashlight/laser pointer months ago, and decided to use the flexible flashlight neck as my first mechadenrite, a spotlight/laser recognition beam. A laser pointer cap was placed on the bottom of the neck, and the thing was glued on. I added plasticard around the cap to make it look bolted-on. A flat-topped red LED was wirewrapped to a couple lengths of wire and installed into the end of the flexible neck. A diffuse yellow LED was installed into the eye socket, also using wirewrapping. That took care of 2 of 4 LEDs to install. If you don't know how to use LEDs, there are plenty of resources online to show you.


  • The "anti-gravity" units on the bottom rear of the skull are vents from old chemistry goggles, each with a laser pointer tip inserted into it. I added the remaining 2 LEDs to the box on the left side of the skull, and wired everything up. Using a leather punch, I cut circles of varying diameters and thicknesses for rivets and other details. I built up 3 small plastic cubes on the battery box to hold a trio of mechadendrites.





  • The mechadendrites are simply lengths of galvanized steel wire wrapped in floral wire and bent to shape. I left the ends of each peice potruding slightly from the floral wire so that I could insert the ends into the cubes I built on the battery box, as well as the "tools" on the business ends of the mechadendrites. To start the "tools," I stacked together several rounds I had punched together to make solid cylinders. The first "tool" I made was simply a curved "blade" that was given an edge on its flat side and glued to one of the cylinders. I decided to make a claw for the second mechadendrite by gluing 3 equally spaced triangles of plasticard to a second cylinder. Both of these were attached with glue onto the wire ends on bottoms of the cylinders. I originally wanted to make the typical conical drill from 40k, but couldn't find anything in my bitz box I liked. I stumbled upon a plastic clutch from inside an electric razor, and by adding the last plastic cylinder inside of it with a 1/16" drill bit, I had my last mechadendrite.

  • Here are some finished photos after a little paint and the addition of a stand and spare purity seal ribbon:



  • DISCLAIMER: All images belong to the webmaster unless otherwise stated. Warhammer 40,000, Space Marine, Adeptus Astartes, Adeptus Mechanicus, and all pertinent names belong to their respective owners.